In our family, breakfast consists of Lemon-Ginger Shots, Green Smoothies, and Açai Bowls. Sundays, we switch it up with Gluten/Dairy Free Pancakes and Fresh Orange Juice!
Acai Bowl: (serves 2)
- 2/3 cup (1 1/2 dl) almond or coconut milk
- 2 T Acai powder
- 2 T Maca powder
- 2 T Hemp seeds
- 2 T Chia seeds
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/4 cup (1/2 dl) frozen mango
- 1/4 cup (1/2 dl) frozen blueberries
Pour the milk into the blender. Add the rest of the ingredients to the blender. Blend on high until it’s all well mixed. Voila!
On top of the açai bowls, I add homemade granola and coconut flakes. Occasionally I’ll add homemade hazelnut spread and fruit!
- 1 Quart (1 l) filtered water
- 4-5 oz (120-140 g) peeled and grated ginger
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 T honey
- Juice from 2 lemons
Heat the water (it shouldn’t boil). Add the ginger and cinnamon sticks and leave it in for approximately 30 minutes. Strain the water and discard the ginger and cinnamon sticks. Add the honey. When the liquid has cooled off, add the squeezed lemon before pouring it into a bottle (I use a glass bottle). Put it in the fridge, and enjoy your morning shots! It keeps for about a month in the fridge.
Green Smoothies: serves 2 – (you can literally use any fruits/veggies that you like, but this is how I make mine most of the time)
- A handful of spinach/kale
- 1 apple
- Juice from one squeezed lemon
- Ginger (about 1″/ 25mm)
- 1/4 cup (1/2dl) frozen pineapple
- 2 cups (475ml) of water
Put all the ingredients in the blender and enjoy!
- 2 cups (5 dl) gluten free oats
- 1/2 cup (1 1/4 dl) chopped nuts of your choice
- 1/4 cup (1/2 dl) sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup (1/2 dl) pumpkin seeds
- 2 T agave
- 2 T coconut oil
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- A pinch of sea salt
- Dried fruit (optional)
Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix the agave, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Pour it over the dry ingredients and mix it together. Put the mix onto parchment paper on a baking pan and bake at 325 degrees for 10 minutes.
Hazelnut spread: (similar to Nutella)
- 1 cup (2 1/2 dl) hazelnuts soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup (1/2 dl) agave
- 1 t vanilla extract
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 dl) cacao powder
- 4-5 T coconut or almond milk
Drain and rinse the hazelnuts before putting it in a food processor together with the other dry ingredients. Add the milk, a tablespoon at a time until you have the consistency you want.
Pancakes: GF/DF (serves 2)
- 1 cup (2 1/2 dl) King Arthur’s gluten free flour
- 1 cup (2 1/2 dl) almond flour
- 3/4 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 1 T sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-2 cups (2 1/2 – 5 dl) almond or coconut milk (I start with one cup and add more till I have the thickness I want).
Mix all the ingredients together and the pancakes are ready to be made!
Orange Juice: (2 servings)
- 2 oranges
- A couple of ice cubes
- 2 cups (5 dl) of water
Blend all the ingredients together and have the most relaxing Sunday ever!
In a large sauce pan add water till it’s 3/4 full. Break the eggs into individual small cups. When the water boils, use a spoon and create a funnel before pouring the egg into the middle of it. Lower the heat and poach the egg for three minutes. Lift it out with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel to get rid of excess water before serving. Great with avocado smash on toast and smoked salmon.